- Weekly residencies – The Sou’wester offers the perfect setting for working on a project.
- Spend a distraction free week devoted to your own creative pursuits.
- Perfect for writers, musicians, visual artists, craftsmen, cooks and engineers. $200-$300/wk.
Please fill out our Artist-In-Residence Application which will include a description of the project you would like to work on while here and what your space/technical needs are to email@example.com. We will review it and be in touch to work out logistics and scheduling.
New Addition to our Artist-In-Residence Program
The Champion: Analog Recording Studio
The Champion is 1968 Ford motor home converted to an analog recording studio. It is rentable weekly as an artist residency or nightly as you see fit – through the Sou’wester and Curly Cassettes. Here is more info.
- It comes equipped with some basic microphones (SM-57/SM-58) and cables.
- Two built in guitar amplifiers (can be mic’d or use direct out) as well as a
- Vintage Califone Record Player/ Tube Amp
- Short scale (64 key) Marco Polo acoustic piano!
- Milk crate full of percussion
- 2 Track Stereo Cassette Recorder – Cassettes available in Sou’ Store
- Stereo 1/4″ Reel-To-Reel Recorder (Akai GX-215D) Reels available in Sou’ Store
- Residents are encouraged to bring their own microphones, instruments and
- recording devices/ laptops
Guests have access to Sauna, Pavilion Bathhouse and Outdoor Kitchen.
The gear will be rotating and changing as time progresses and the waves keep rolling in.
- Artist Residency For The Champion – weekday rates
- $300 weekly as studio and to sleep in. (Sunday- Friday) – accommodates 2 max (on 4 inch foam pads – not ‘real’ mattresses.)
- $250 weekly as add-on with only one other rented space.
- WEEKEND RATES –
- $133 – Nightly
- HOURLY RATES –
- $30 Hourly if not being rented as Artist Residency.
- $50 Hourly with Mr. Curly Dr. Curly as Engineer.
Some simple Champion policies are:
- You break it, you pay for it.
- NO drinks on the piano.
- No shoes inside (get cozy).
- No loud music after midnight.
- Always lock the door behind you.
- Please credit ‘Sou’ Wester Artist Residency/ Curly Cassettes/ the Champion Mobile Unit’ if you release any of these recordings.
- Leave an Audio artifact with us at the main desk and you will be included in the annual Champion mix tape series.
- Have FUN!
- Enjoy your stay!
A nice recent article about the residency program and Mico Kristen
Our very first artist in residence, Darren Hanlon just released this video.
Here are some examples of other artists residencies.
Nick Jaina and the 20 Song Game .
This is a beautifully written article about the 20 song game. The part about the Sou’wester Residency is described in the second half of the article. Scroll down!
Michelle Cline and XOBRUNO
This gives a great sense of the process; the intersection of social and solitary time, of indoor space and outdoor and of the process of pattern making.
Kyle Durrie and state drawings. This is our first resident of our newest Spartan, the Jet Trim Styled 57 Manor. What a fitting project to evoke a nostalgia of travel reinterpreted with the clarity of hand drawn lines. We can’t wait for some of these to filter back our way.
Participating Artists fall/winter 2013
John Bowers & Aaron – Nurses
Participating Artist winter 2014
Participating Artists 2012-2013
Damon Myer and Tessie Ward
Lance E Pants
Steph Choi and Tony Caldera
Sarah Hendrickson & John Bowers
Christian Profeta & Abigail Susik
Leroy Ryan Mill
Opening April 27th – at the English Nursery
Lynn De Danaan.
Each of the rooms in the Lodge is a small and private art show.
- Jolyn Fry – #5
- Nancy Prior -#1
- Sid Deluka – #4
- Alicia McDade -#2
- Nicky Kriara – #3
- Keegan Wenkman
- David Potter