ART TRAILER GALLERY
The Art Trailer Gallery lives in a 1960’s Aloha made in Aloha, Oregon. It was rescued from a neglected RV park in the northern part of the Long Beach Peninsula. After lots of TLC, it has transformed into a bright and beautiful open space to reflect a traditional gallery. It is now part of the Artist Residency Program and our non-profit organization, Sou’wester Arts. Exterior mural Summer 2018 by artist Nicky Kriara.
JULY 27 2023 – OCTOBER 12 2023
Tufted, and interactive artwork, Barn Rave, 2011 encapsulates the frenetic, feral exchange of energy found in a packed dance floor. The modular work recalls a night in a remote barn outside of Cedar Rapids, Iowa. Its tessellated pieces intertwine, forming a hazy, abstracted scene of kids drenched in sweat, a barn filled with fog, hay, pulsating music, and a mix of suspicious substances. This ephemeral experience imprints neural pathways.
The puzzle-like components and imagery pay homage to a transformative and hedonistic celebration of youthful exuberance. The liberated sensuality and sometimes-brainlessness of infectious bassy beats become the unyielding desires to relinquish the burdens and constraints of adolescence in small town surroundings. The pieces move and connect, at times surpassing a perfect fit. Capturing the raw energy of dancing amidst others. Capturing unbridled energy. Their arrangement allows for infinite reconfigurations—a reflection of the ever-shifting nature of the dance floor.
Tori Wheeler is an artist, designer, and dancer whose work is influenced by ecstatic human exchange, touch and tactility, music-and-nature-induced-trance-states, and a dash of trickster humor. Their creative practice mirrors that of a desire path.
Tori holds a Bachelor of Fine Arts in Design from the Kansas City Art Institute and works as a textile artist, gold leaf gilder, and fairweather graphic designer.
Curated by Nikki Cormaci
Art Trailer Gallery Archive:
- Jul 1- Sept 25, 2022: “Between Sea & Land”: Granular Explorations by Cory Gray & Nicky Kriara.
- April 8 – June 30, 2022: “Ancestral Threads” An Installation by Iris Sullivan Daire.
- Nov 8, 2019 – Jan 12, 2020: “Shore/Lines” by Marcus Fischer.
- Aug 9 – Nov 3, 2019: “We’ve Never Met Before Today” by Becca Van K and Andrew Cortes.
- June 9 – Aug 4, 2019: “Forget Me Not Taxidermy” by Lindsay Bones.
- Mar 8 – June 2, 2019: “Treasure From” by Jillian Barthold.
- Jan 11 – Feb 24, 2019: “Vertellen” by Andie Sterling.
- Oct 5 – Dec 30, 2018: “Deep Skies” by Heather McLaughlin.
- July 3 – Sep 23, 2018: “Pillow Talk” by Amanda Manitach.
- Dec 21, 2017 – February 25, 2018: “Sou’wester Staff Art Exhibit” by Samantha Baker, Michael Crain, Thandi Rosenbaum, Kate Rutter, Dawn Stetzel, Jason Taylor, Jason Tschimperle.
- Aug 11 – Dec 15, 2017: “Pop Up Trailer Show” by John Frentress, Nicky Kriara, Nicole J Georges, Shelley Short, Joe Chasse, Jane E Herrold, Carol Aust, Bradley Delay, J Junkins, Patrick Carrico, Aaron Tate, Erin Engstrom, as well as additional artists.